Nordic - Comp Team
We offer our Comp Team to highly motivated athletes aged 15 and over. Our goal is advancing each individual’s skiing and racing skills to maximize their athletic potential, and to help build the discipline, drive, and determination for them to succeed in whatever arena they choose after ski racing. These athletes have the opportunity to attend several summer training camps (on and off snow). Team training begins at the beginning of June, with dryland work and continues until the snow falls. Daily training focuses on details of technique, endurance work, strength work and speed work. Training is partially based on the individual needs determined from physical testing, competition records, and personal goals. The Comp Team athletes participate in local, regional and national U.S. Ski & Snowboard races, and Wyoming High School races. They have the opportunity to qualify for the Junior Nationals, The Nations Cup in Scandinavia, and World Juniors. The physical and mental demands of the sport give a tangible reality to the concept of working and improving. Competition, training, and the motivator of personal improvement instill the principles of teamwork, leadership, sportsmanship, time management and commitment. These are lessons kids take away and keep for the rest of their lives. Comp team athletes are encouraged to register for the full time year-round option at registration. Even though they may be involved in other seasonal sports, the JHSC Nordic coaching staff works with and is in communication with athletes on a weekly to monthly basis. Athlete to Coach Ratio: 5:1
Skill Development and Focus
- Focus on effectively executing efficient energy application.
- Understand and use the setting of three levels of goals; process, performance, outcome.
- Effectively use imagery, focus, goal setting and planning to achieve improving results.
- Begin to specialize & focus more on ski specific training.
- Development of speed
- Understand basic training periodization & focusing on different aspects of such throughout the season.
- Understand the basic techniques for waxing both Skate & Classic skis for training/racing & the importance of waxing regularly; Becoming more capable of choosing waxes for the conditions.